Sunday, March 20, 2005

The greys of blogging

I like to consider myself on top of technology, I even fancy myself a geek girl of sorts. So, the fact that it has taken me so long to "discover" blogging is a bit embarrassing. Nevertheless, when I do find a new technology it is hard for me to keep quiet about it. For the past few weeks I have been inflicting on my friends and family my passion for this new technology and how it will change education. I had come across a great blog called hipteacher and was discussing it with my friends at lunch when I realized that they were completely appalled by the idea. "How could a teacher discuss such intimate details about her students and place them on the Internet?" I am torn by their response. I'd like to believe in the anonymity of the Internet, but the users of it are human, and therefore fallible. We have smart students and to believe that they would never figure out who you are is a bit naive. Or is it? Does she risk injuring her students to blog about her own failings and issues? and if so is it worth it? When we place something in a public forum, such as the internet, what responsibilities do we undertake for that is well? Is she breaking a trust with her students? I myself am still trying to come to terms with it....

No comments: